Surely you're familiar with the name, James Deen is well-known in the porn entertainment industry. With his slender build and boy-next-door good looks, he bucked the stereotypical image of the male adult actor and has enjoyed plenty of success as both a performer and a director in the world of porn as well as in the mainstream. So much so that Deen has won multiple awards for Male Performer of the Year, Crossover Star of the Year and Mainstream Star of the Year among plenty other titles. In 2013 he was the first male porn star to make it into the list of CNBC's “Dirty Dozen” where they rank the most popular stars of the year.
He began his career in the industry with only 18 years old, and has stated repeatedly that being in porn was all he ever wanted to do. During his 12 years in the porn business, James has worked in over 2,000 adult films as a performer and 50+ as a director. He also launched his own official porn site and production company (James Deen Productions), and has a cooking show/web series called James Deen Loves Food on porno site Woodrocket.com.
We had a few questions for James and he kindly answered all of them.
1. You have stated repeatedly that you've always wanted to be in porn, but did you have a fall back career of some kind in case things didn't work out? Was there anything else you would have wanted to do?
2. Which part of your work do you enjoy the most? Is it performing, producing, directing, the creative process?
3. Is there someone in the industry you have always wanted to work with but haven't been able to yet?
4. Is there a specific genre of porn that you prefer to make? Where do you usually find inspiration for your new films?
5. I'm sure you've heard about Rocco Siffredi's petition to make sex education mandatory in Italy. Do you agree with his petition? Would you like the US to have something like that?
6. Would you suggest yourself as a teacher?
7. Is there's something you feel needs to change in the adult entertainment industry nowadays?
8. After 12 years of working in the industry, does the job still have the capacity to shock you or surprise you?
9. In your opinion, what is the most memorable moment of your career so far?
10. Do you enjoy watching porn just for entertainment's sake? If so, what kind of porn do you prefer?
11. Considering that you probably spend a lot of time watching your own porn while editing, have you ever been turned on by (and maybe got off to) yourself?
12. Have you heard that there’s lack of male actors in Japanese porn business? (They say there are only 70 male performers for 10 000 women) Would you say the US has the same problem (probably to a lesser extent)? Would you consider going to Japan and help to pick up the slack?
13. What would you say are some of the problems/difficulties that a male performer encounters in this job?
14. You've worked on several projects outside of porn in the past, do you have any mainstream projects in the works at the moment?
15. What do you like to do in your spare time?
16. Some “short and sweet” questions:
In your opinion, what are your worst and best qualities?
Your idea of happiness?
Your favorite movie or TV-show?
Who are some of your heroes in real life?
Does size matter?
17. Is there anything else you would like to tell your fans?